Business Forecasting Conference - Melbourne
Thursday, 15 September 2016
Park Hyatt Melbourne, 1 Parliament Square off Parliament Place
Subscribers: Check Complimentary Seat Status and Make Bookings
BUILDING INDUSTRY PROSPECTS SESSION: Residential and Non-residential Building
7:15am – 9:15am
LIGHT BREAKFAST INCLUDED • TIME: 7:15AM – 7:45AM
How will this downturn in home building differ from previous cycles?
Is non–residential on the cusp of a new boom, as some are suggesting?
Understand how and when your business volumes will be affected.
- How dramatic is the drop off in population growth?
- Which states will feel the benefit of renewed interest rate cuts?
- How serious is the crisis of too many high rise apartments?
- Do regional areas still offer good prospects for growth?
- Is home renovation activity bouncing back, or has it peaked?
- How will commercial building track from here? And social building?
- When will your segment of the market improve?
- Where can the best opportunities be found in 2017?
Residential building prospects by state and dwelling type ahead to December 2017.
Non residential building outlook by state and segment, across 12 sectors.
Australia’s leading independent building outlook conference of its kind.
Meet the BIS forecasters. Ask a question. Network. Know your industry.
THE ECONOMIC OUTLOOK SESSION
9:30am – 12:30pm
Structural change takes time. Domestic demand weak.
Only half way through the fall in mining investment.
Impact offset by strong production and exports.
- Residential building boom running out of steam. Will fall next year.
- Can recovery in infrastructure spending replace mining investment?
- How quickly will US Fed rates rise? How does that affect Australian cash rates?
- What impact on bonds – in the US and Australia? And investment markets?
- Is deflation a problem? Any danger of recession? External shocks?
- How long will non-mining business demand and profits stay weak?
- When will business investment recover?
- How low will the dollar go? Will it be enough?
- Has the employment recovery run ahead of growth?
- How will this play out, by industry and by region?
Recent strengthening in GDP was a false dawn. Economy still weak.
But setting up for strong growth late this decade. How should we prepare?.